There’s something really sexy about van Gogh’s 1887 painting Sunflowers, not in the Georgia O’Keeffe way exactly, but as though the artist were exposing something private and intimate about the plants. The picture is in “Van Gogh Up Close,” an exhibition that just opened at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Focusing on the period between 1896 and 1890, it explores the ways the artist messed with traditional perspective to create bizarre, dramatic still lifes and landscapes that helped change the course of modern art.
Tag Archives: Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Artwork on Violence in Colombia Too Dangerous for @untitledmiami art fair shar.es/DzPiy 1 day ago
- 9 Art Shows to See After ‘12 Years a Slave’: Or, how museums are finding ways to rewrite lost narratives shar.es/DzSCI 1 day ago
- 'I don't do art--I just paint.' Nephew in Miami 2 days ago
- Cat does downward dog, courtesy @earlboykins for @shopgreyarea #yogamat #$90 j.mp/1gsFQpC 5 days ago
- Vermeer fervor of the world, unite-- @frickcollection RT @NYTMetro nyti.ms/1cxbPlV 1 week ago
#Andy Warhol #appropriation #Banksy #cats #fact checker #Marcus Aurelius #Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth #Oxidation Paintings #Picasso #Robert Lazzarini #scanner code #SoHo #street art #telephone #Virginia Museum of Fine Arts African masks Alicia Prieto Alison McMenamin Andrew Edlin Gallery Anna Kustera art Art School Without Walls Ayeshia Brown Basquiat Batman bedbug Bronx Museum Brooklyn Museum Cecilia Alemani comic art Cre8tive YouTH*ink David Nyzio Dr. Lakra drawing Drawing Center E.V. Day elephant Elvis festival of ideas Galeristas Adolescentes High Line International Center of Photography Jeff Koons Jewish Museum Jonathan LeVine Kehinde Wiley Keith Haring LA MOCA Maira Kalman Marlborough Gallery Metropolitan Museum of Art Mike Leavitt Mista Oh! Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art new museum Olek Paul Kasmin Pierogi Postmasters Queens Museum R. Crumb Ray Smith sheep Shepard Fairey Skewville Society of Illustrators Sofia Maldonado Sol Lewitt Sperone Westwater Tania Bruguera Tanya Bonakdar The Hole Tim Schreier van Gogh Willie Cole